all the answers you’re looking for
Frequently asked questions about Sterling Silver.
We want to help you navigate the many decisions you face in feeding your family. That’s why we’ve assembled this list of frequently asked questions about beef, paired with answers you can trust.
- General Information
- Cooking and Preparation
- The Sterling Silver Premium Beef Brand
What is marbling?
Marbling is the white flecks of fat within muscle that result in rich, authentic flavour. Sterling Silver Premium Beef has 80 percent more flavour than lower quality beef because we require that all products are rated modest or higher for marbling.
What’s the best beef choice for entertaining?
Consider a Sterling Silver boneless roast for large parties or events as it will make carving and serving most efficient. Any oven roast or pot roast can be used throughout the week for sandwiches or other quick meals.
What are extra lean beef cuts?
According to the Mayo Clinic, eye of round steaks, top round steaks and top sirloin steaks qualify as extra lean, meaning that each 100-gram serving contains less than 5 grams total fat, 2 grams of saturated fat and 95 milligrams of cholesterol. If burgers are more your style, look to ground beef that is 90 percent lean or higher. Or opt for a ground sirloin, which is naturally leaner.
What is the recommended internal temperature for cooked steaks and roasts?
Always cook your steaks and roasts to an internal temperature of 140° F (60° C) for medium doneness. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness without cutting into the meat. Promptly refrigerate leftovers.
What is the best method for thawing frozen beef?
The best method for thawing frozen beef is in your refrigerator as it provides you better texture and the best eating experience.
What is the recommended serving of beef?
An 85-gram serving of beef is recommended to maintain optimal nutrition without excessive fat and calories. That’s about the size of a deck of cards or a computer mouse.
Where is Sterling Silver® Premium Beef sourced from?
Sterling Silver Premium Beef is carefully sourced from the North American Great Plains and hand-selected for optimal quality. The results are unsurpassed cuts of beef that provide exceptional flavour, tenderness and juiciness.
How does Sterling Silver® Premium Beef select cattle?
Our proprietary, computerized procurement system filters out inferior raw materials and ensures that the cattle we select meet the highest standards, unlike other suppliers who rely solely on the subjective estimates of individual buyers. Because of our superior processes, the quality of our beef grades 2 to 10 percent higher than both U.S. and Canadian average quality grades.
How does Sterling Silver® Premium Beef ensure animal handling?
We consider the humane and respectful handling of animals to be a moral obligation. Sterling Silver brand products are guaranteed humane, not only because it is the right thing to do, but also because we understand that calm animals provide higher quality, more tender beef for our customers. That’s why:
- We adhere to standards set by Dr. Temple Grandin, Ph.D., the American Meat Institute Foundation and the Humane Slaughter Act for humane animal treatment.
- Our facilities and processes are designed to minimize stress, and all unloading, receiving and holding facilities were designed or improved by Dr. Grandin, one of the world’s foremost authorities on livestock behavior, handling and processing.
- We were the first major beef supplier to use 24-hour, third-party video monitoring to validate compliance with animal handling standards.
- We have PAACO-certified auditors in every one of our beef harvest facilities.
- We are co-founders of the North American Food Animal Well-being Commission, leaders and experts in animal well-being.
How does Sterling Silver® Premium Beef ensure food safety?
As an organization committed to food safety, our priority is ensuring our products are safe and wholesome. We’re focused on reducing and eliminating food-borne illness through ongoing food safety research and development of new technologies and processes that drive accountability across our supply chain. That’s why we:
- Led the charge in developing two key interventions, the hide-on carcass wash and thermal pasteurization, which have now been widely adopted by other beef suppliers.
- Use Helix, an integrated data collection information reporting system that generates real-time data that allows us to react quickly to events and issues that impact food safety, quality and overall performance as they occur.
Is Sterling Silver® Premium Beef certified?
Our consistently high standards for quality grade, marbling and aging have been in place for years, ensuring every cut is tender, juicy and flavourful every time. So it’s no surprise our Sterling Silver Premium Beef met the criteria for the newly introduced USDA Certified Very Tender without a single change to our process.
Is Sterling Silver® Beef guaranteed?
Yes, Sterling Silver Premium Beef guarantees each and every product to be tender, juicy and flavourful.
Is Sterling Silver® Premium Beef environmentally friendly?
Protecting and preserving natural resources is a priority at Cargill, and we constantly strive to develop new ways to do so. We have committed to achieving Environmental Management Systems and ISO 14001 certification at all facilities, and since 2001 have:
- Improved water usage efficiency by 15 percent.
- Improved energy efficiency by 11 percent.
- Reduced solid waste by 75 to 90 percent.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 13 percent.