Tandoori Flank Steak Preparation
- Heat oil in pan. Add pureed onion and minced garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add spices and cook for another 2 minutes. If mixture is too dry, add in 1 to 2 Tbsp. water. (The spices should be paste-like.)
- Remove pan from heat and add in lemon juice, yogurt, salt, cilantro and tomato paste. Mix well. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature before using as marinade.
- Rub marinade on flank steak; let sit overnight, and then grill to 120°F.
- Let rest; then thinly slice against grain of meat and roll up to skewer. Skewer 4 to 5 rolls; set aside.
- When all is skewered, grill again until desired temp. Set aside for plating.
Indian Mint Cilantro Chutney Preparation
- Grind all together; use water to thin out.
Curried Chickpea Puree Preparation - Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cumin; stir 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas (garbanzo beans), salt, paprika and cayenne. Sauté until chickpeas begin to darken, about 5 minutes.
- Pour reserved chickpea liquid into 2-cup measuring cup; add enough water (if necessary) to measure 2 cups. Add liquid to chickpea mixture; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer until chickpeas begin to soften, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Pour chickpea mixture into strainer set over bowl; reserve cooking liquid.
- Transfer chickpeas to processor; add ¾ cup reserved cooking liquid. Add ½ cup oil; puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cool. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before using.